Friday, November 16, 2007

wake up call

7832.5 more hours. Thursday (8) I woke up cause my phone was bouncing around (it's on vibrate). It was my boss calling. I thought, why would he be calling me. Maybe I don't need to come in today? First thing he says to me is, 'Where are you?'. I'm at home. 'Are you coming in today?'. Ya. Then I noticed what the time was on my other phone. It was after 9. I'm supposed to be at work at 8:30. Then I started to freak out. He told me to meet him at the house we were going to be working at so I wrote down the address and started feverishly getting ready. I found the street but not the place so I called him and he said that he wasn't even at the house. He got caught up at the supplier downtown and to go wait for him at the Tim Horton's nearby. So I got a hot chocolate and waited. and waited. I sat there for over an hour and a half and then he finally showed up. Apparently there were issues with his brother, and then the supplier didn't have stuff, and other people were calling him and he was exhausted before we even started working. So out of all the days I could have slept in (because in my sleepiness the night before I left my alarm clock on the set alarm time thing so it never went off) the morning where he had a slue of problems that delayed him getting to work is the one that it happened on. That's not chance. Anyway we ended up at this old Italian guy's house. Oh look the whole house has aluminum wiring. Great. Oh what's that? None of the plugs and switches are rated for aluminum? And the light fixtures were connected with marrettes that aren't rated for aluminum? Awesome. So here's what we get to do. Take off all of the plugs and switches. Disconnect all them. Take a piece of copper wire and pigtail the aluminum wires (with special marrettes and special goopy stuff) to the plugs and switches. Oh and also take down all the ceiling fans and lights and replace the marrettes with the special ones and if there is copper to aluminum connections, use the goopy stuff. I was terrible in chemistry class but there' something about copper and aluminum that when they're put together they oxidize and corrode or something and crumble and fall apart and then your house burns down. So these special marrettes you can use with aluminum and the goopy stuff is Noalox (made by Ideal) which impedes that corrosion. Yay. Anyway it sucks. And the old dude has been smoking for who knows how many years and I can hear him coughing in other rooms and it sounds like a lung is coming out and he has this laboured, slow breathing. It's creepy when you're working and he kinda shuffles up behind you and you don't hear him coming cause of the little slipper things he wears but you hear the breathing getting closer and louder and he just stands there watching you work. just. creepy. he and his wife are really nice and kept offering me ginger ale and then some sort of cake at one point. But ya. Then James left me there to fend for myself all day Friday (9). Then I told him that the next week is not such a good one for me. Monday (12) night was the Switchfoot/Relient K concert in Ypsilanti which I would have to leave early afternoon to get to in time, and then wouldnt get back till the next day. Then Thursday (15) I was getting my wisdom teeth pulled out in the morning and I would need the next day off as well to recover. So Wednesday (14) was the only day I could work. That just happened to be a day he was going to give me off because he had meetings with hydro or something. So I said that I would come in Monday (12) morning to help out for a little before I had to leave. He appreciated that. So the concert was awesome. Wrote about it in my Facebook notes. Switchfoot = so good. Got to meet them again and talked with some of them for a while. Jon played Corey's guitar again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngqmcdgpY7o So then that brings us to Thrusday. All four wisdom teeth ripped from my skull while I'm wide awake. The chloral hydrate definitely failed me. It knocked me out before they started, but once he started injecting me with the freezing stuff, I woke right up. It was horrible. I'm on some painkillers so i don't feel too great right now. If stuff doesn't make sense that's why. I'm tired.

No comments: