Monday, December 17, 2007

finally

7735 more hours. I know I did work. I just don't remember much. I don't really care. As far as I know he left for Jamaica on Saturday (15) and gave me Thursday (13) and Friday (14) off and only worked a half day on Wednesday (12). We were in Burlington, OH YA! Monday (10) we went to this guy's place that James knows who owns Complete Roofing to install pot lights on the outside of his house. Problem is that they were to be installed on the underside of the roof that hangs over the edge of the house which is pretty high up cause the house is two storeys and the one was over the quad-car garage which is under the house so the driveway slopes down so now it was three storeys up. We had to borrow one of the guy's 30 ft ladders to get at it because we don’t have a ladder that could reach and this guy owns a roofing business so they need bigger ladders. So we did the first light then the second. At this point we were at the side of the house. The house/property isn't finished so the landscaping is not done at all. A couple days before when we were there James put his foot through the ice into a hole in the ground. While we were moving the ladder we were sure to avoid that hole. Only problem is that the hole underneath the ice was bigger than the hole he made in the ice. I got past it fine but when he walked on it he just dropped which then left the ladder to drop and then gravity and such did its job. We weren't going too far so we decided to leave the ladder upright and pick it up and move it to then gently rest it against the house so we didn't have to bring it down, carry it, then walk it back up. So now there's this teetering tower of metal that is starting to fall toward the house. The very nice expensive house with big expensive windows. So I did what needed to be done. Throw my weight at the ladder to keep it from falling toward the house. I was able to redirect the ladder, but it had already started to tip and so I used every ounce of strength I had left to try and keep it standing and not let it come crashing down. I was holding it steady, but then I realized that I was slowly getting crushed and it was forcing me to the ground until I ended up with my head between the rungs and the ladder resting on my shoulders while i was squatting in the snow. That was terribly painful so I got my head underneath and leaned forward to put the ladder on my back and tried to push up. I don't remember how I ended up getting out from under it. But I did. It did a number of my back and neck which I felt for the next few days. We did the other lights then went into the basement and wired them up.
Then Tuesday (11) we were next door-ish at this other guy's place who is still building the house. This house is 8000 sq ft with a crazy view of Burlington. House itself is sorta ugly. Might look better when it's done. James had been there before I started working for him and had put in a temporary panel and sub panel while the guys built the house but now that it's winter and the structure and stuff is all done they wanted some power inside. So first I had to find the teck cable that was buried under the snow that was running over to the sub panel to discover that it was buried under the dirt for a few feet right by the box. Oh goody. So he found me a pickax and a shovel. The shovel did absolutely nothing to the ground. So a pickaxing I went. That was exhausting. We got the cable out, got the panel inside, ran the wire inside, hooked up the new panel, plugged all the other guys stuff in and done. There was more involved and it took up most of the day but I'll leave it short.
Wednesday we were on Bond Street putting in two wall sconces and a switch for them, and an extra counter plug. Only took the morning to do. Then we went back to the office, I got my cheque for the last 5 weeks and that is all in the way of work for the next 3 weeks. Finally.

No comments: